More Moms are gravitating towards sustainable clothes for ourselves and our kids, and for good reason. If you buy well-made, sustainable clothing, you can limit your family’s impact on the planet, while saving time and money because the clothes will be worn longer (and even used as hand-me-downs).
We’ve rounded up 8 amazing clothing brands that blend fashion with social responsibility without compromising quality. Shopping smart and sustainable literally never looked so good! What are your go-to, eco-friendly fashion brands for yourself and your kids?
- Mate the Label creates cozy basics with organic materials. The female-founded brand is on a mission to “provide people everywhere with essentials that are clean from seed to skin.” Mate has a sea of neutral tones for kids (and mom and dad, too!) that make for endless matching possibilities. We love when a morning decision is scratched off the to-do list! Mate is Climate Neutral certified and everything is made in LA less than 15 miles from their headquarters.
- Patagonia is a name we all grew up with, but you might not know just how seriously the outdoor clothing brand has taken sustainability. Plus, the variety of children’s options has grown! Their self-imposed Earth tax means 1% of their sales goes to support environmental nonprofits globally. Patagonia also buys and sells used Patagonia to extend the life of items. According to their website, “buying used extends a garment’s life by about two years, which cuts its combined carbon, waste and water footprint by 82%.” Through their Worn Wear program, you can get up to $100 in merchandise credit when you bring them used Patagonia clothing in good condition.
- Hatley is a Canadian family-owned brand that produces hand-me-down quality clothes for kids, as well as an entire line for mom. Adorable outerwear is Hatley’s eye-catching hallmark, yet the brand extends to a literally laundry list of bright, beautiful clothing. According to the California Public Interest Research Group, 85% of our clothes end up in landfills, and by creating clothes that last, Hatley hopes to reduce waste (and save you money)!
- LACAUSA is where comfort and fashion collide! This women’s clothing line is committed to “creating quality garments under ethical conditions.” At an affordable price point, you can find cute basics, simple on-trend dresses, and even a maternity line. Additionally, a portion of their proceeds go to organizations and charities with whom they partner each season.
- Reformation built a name by selling vintage clothes in LA, but today, Reformation feels far more approachable to moms. The on-trend pieces take devotees everywhere from weddings, to brunch, to date night. The styles are effortless and feminine, and we’re pleased to see the items are frequently offered in extended sizes. What you may not know? Using low-impact materials, rescued deadstock fabrics, and repurposed vintage clothing, they want to bring sustainability (and style) to the masses. If you’ve only heard the name but never browsed, we think this brand is worth a look!
- Summersalt is a brand that prides itself on fusing fashion and function, AND they use recycled materials to create fabrics and product packaging. It’s hard to miss their marketing campaigns that features women of all ages and shapes (hurray for inclusivity!) and their swimsuits have amassed a cult following. Their size inclusive “travel essentials” are perfect for the mom on the go. Comfy, chic, and eco-conscious – what more can you ask for?
- CariCapri is newer to the scene of sustainable, ethically-made fashion and has quickly become a head-turner! The female-founded line offers a diverse medley of options: sexy, durable workout wear; flirty, feminine linen dresses; and a fabulous “Everyday Set” that is equal parts cozy and chic. And you’d never know that discarded plastic bottles were spun into thread that becomes their athleisure items! The company uses the hashtag #youpostweplant to celebrate advocacy and also plants 5 trees for every online purchase. Now that’s fashion you can be proud to purchase!
For Dudley devotees who can’t live without their iconic fleece turtlenecks, the latest drops from this family-owned, female-founded brand will blow your mind! Dudley Stephens is now all-season thanks to a jersey fabric that’s thin, breathable, and built to layer. Dresses include short and maxi lengths with tank and short-sleeve styles, plus a variety of cute tops… all made of recycled plastic bottles. It’s shopping made sensible to know that each item takes plastic out of landfills and oceans, all while looking preppy chic and feeling oh-so-comfortable!
This post originally appeared on The Local Moms Network